It may be that a divorce is a step too far and is not right for you at this time. Some couples decide to separate for two years instead, to make sure that a divorce is what they really want. If you remain separated for the full two years then this can be used as a ground for a divorce.

Before you separate you should enter into a written agreement called a separation agreement, which details how financial assets are to be dealt with.

Separation Agreements are a more formal way of acknowledging that you and your spouse no longer live together and also set out any agreements you have made. They may cover things such as:

  • What will happen to any shared property/properties
  • How any joint assets will be divided
  • How any debts may be divided
  • Residence and contact for any children you may have
  • Financial arrangements for any children you may have

Do you need legal advice? (Clear-cut advice on your legal issues)

For further information on how we can help you to resolve your legal issues, speak to a member of our team today on 02078681747. Alternatively, use the enquiry form to request a consultation with one of our solicitors.